Sunday, September 7, 2008

Spielwoche

                                                    My team. We came in second place!
An action shot!
Michael was prepared.
Our youth group, in orange, also came in second place for soccer.
The game ended in a tie. Overtime was played in penalty shots.
This week I went to youth group for the first time. Wow, was it nerve-wracking. But at the same time it was so great to get out and meet people my age. Instead of having a normal youth group time we practiced soccer and volleyball for a "Spielwoche", sports week. 
The past two days I spent playing volleyball with and against other Swiss. About 7 other youth groups came to join my youth group this weekend. In total 70 people came. There were 6 volleyball teams and many soccer teams, since that is the most popular sport here in Europe. 
I am so glad that I participated this weekend. The opportunity allowed me to meet many great people and practice my German, which I have made many breakthroughs with. Another exciting part about this weekend was that another traniee came to Switzerland. Her youth group, who is actually from Germany, came to play. Since he youth group had not started yet, she did not know anyone and did not want to play soccer. I invited her to play volleyball with us. Along with her help our team ended up getting 2nd place in the tournament. We lost to a team called Moron, said with a French accent but still sounds funny in English, whom we should have beat. I am now really looking forward to youth group on Tuesday to see the people I have met and hopefully improve my German some more. 

5 comments:

Jon said...

We sang in Moron on HC EuroChorale Tour '05.

Anonymous said...

So gut zum horen, das du hat viel spass mit andere teenagers im Spielwoche gemacht. Liebe diene Mutter.

Bethany Miller said...

i was in moron! im glad you're having fun!

Anonymous said...

Audra, we think of you every day and are so excited for you. We had 9 1/2 inches of rain Th. and FRi. Needless to say it's a little wet around Ks and Oklahoma. We sure enjoy you Blog. Blessings, Brad and Brenda

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear things are going well and that you're meeting people your own age! That has to be a good feeling. And......I didn't know your mom spoke German!!! :)

Kay