Monday, September 15, 2008

The Good Things in Life


This past week of work was really hard for me. Constantly, I am finding it harder to do the right things the right way. I find myself constantly making mistakes therefore becoming more nervous that I will make more mistakes, which I end up doing because I am nervous in the first place. I have decided that I want to focus on what is good in life. I love the fact that I have the opportunity to reach out to a local Mennonite church. It is not so much me reaching out, well actually I had to take the first steps, but more that they people at this church are so warm and welcoming. Shaenzli, is what it is called, and is about 10 minutes from where I live. On Monday evenings I attend the choir there where we are singing Bach and some other great German composers (which I can't remember at the moment but trust me they are good.) On Tuesdays I attend the youth group there. Kids from the ages of 16 to about 22 attend the youth group. Even though they speak in Swiss German, terribly hard for me to understand, I enjoy the warmth that I feel when I go. Mostly, they speak to me in German and ask me questions about what work is like, if I like it and how I like it here in Switzerland. A lot of them have done years over-seas and can relate to what I am going through. It is nice because I feel like they care. I also am very thankful for Debbie (seen above in the picture). She is one of the committee members of Intermenno. She lives about 10 minutes from where I live. She is warm and welcoming also, willing to talk and spent a year in Oregon so can relate to what I am going through. She also goes with me to choir and takes me to and from church. Her willingness and kindness is so great when most Swiss people don't take the time that Debbie does. So this is a thanks to them and to God for putting those much needed people in my life. And I am thankful for those good things. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have Debbie for a friend. It's a good reminder for me to reach out to people of other cultures that I cross paths with in my life.

Kay

Kara said...

you look as beautiful as ever.
i was watching sex and the city tonight and it made me think of when you used to come to my room and watch it with me on my bed.
i miss you.
love, me